October 12, 2009

 

The Diego Desert: Trinidad's seasonal dustbowl

1pressha /pre sh æ/ noun : A coloquial term which denotes the burden of distress or difficulty in a person's life; The physical force required to transport water along a pipe, the likes of which are absent in the Diego Desert at least 3 nights a week.

I had promised myself that this blog would contain all the fun and wonder of life that I could squeeze out of my head, but I must depart from this overarching philosophy for a moment. Chalk this one up to it being a Monday, the start of the work week, traditionally a day of high brain function... and low tolerance.

Just imagine that all over the tiny hamlet of Diego Martin, a densely populated suburb of the capital city Port of Spain, people return from work and look forward to a peaceful evening at home. After braving the heat of the day and general sweat of industriousness, road weary travelers trudge back to their humble abodes to recoup. They dispense with their soiled garments, a reminder of today's exertion, and step into their bathrooms... to rinse their entire body with a teacup of water.

Wha kinda cruelty WASA doin we here? Now, you might think I jes workin up myself for no reason, "Of course yuh does loose water every once in a while, dey fixin de pipes, or upgrading the systems or hit the wrong valve control while dey was scratching dey bumsee in the pumping station and forget to turn it back on."

Nah!... the whole of Diego does be smellin green on the evenings of Monday, Wednesday and Friday EVERY WEEK without fail. How does my esteemed and most honourable Prime Minister expect our country to attain the status of a developed nation by the year 2020 and people cyah even wash dey skwegs properly? I remember my mother tellin me that is de little tings in life dat does get to you. And while dis may be a trivial matter to some, I really eh tryin to be liming on a Friday night wit ah kinda stale fry-bake finish and some lysol jes throw under mih arm. You could imagine them poor school chirren who went football trainin, or Tae Kwondo class, or car jacking, or whatever the kids are doing for fun these days, and reach home only to have to stew in dey juices (Uh Geeeed). I believe that this can be construed as cruelty to minors, and our children shouldn't have to deal with conditions like these. With this distinction, I say we could take the matter to the U.N. and claim that our government has disregarded our human rights. If dey doin dat kinda injustice, at least I want ah credit on my WASA bill, chargin me all dat money on top of bad service is jes addin insult to injury.

I say, the residents should take matters into their own hands. We have a right to get on dutty in de streets (literally). Only when the whole of unwashed Diego Martin rises up and pours itself into de WASA office, will we change the system. Blastid WASA, they shall have their comeuppance, because who doh hear will SMELL!!!


Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
Funny stuff. nice read
 

Post a Comment

Say it, don't spray it.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]